Wismer Barn

Wismer Barn

Wismer Barn, 1992. Construction began on the Wismers’ new barn in early 1932, with a plan based on a mid-Western design. Measuring 196 feet long and 38 feet deep, the new barn had stanchions for 100 cows, complete with automatic waterers, and could store up to 400 tons of hay in the upper level. With pointed arches rising 45 feet above the ground, the new barn was a technologically advanced agricultural superstructure. Like its predecessor, it too was lost in a fire, this time due to a spark from a hay mowing operation on June 10, 1997. The 150-head herd of cattle were moved twenty miles away to East Greenville while a new barn was built in just over three months. (Courtesy of Matthew G. Wismer.)