Pfahler Hall

601 E. Main Street
Initially known as the Science Building, Pfahler Hall was
renamed in 1942 after Dr. George E. Pfahler, a pioneer in the
field of radiology. Here Dr. John W. Mauchly, professor of
physics from 1933 to 1941, began research that would lead
him to co-invent the ENIAC, the first electronic generalpurpose
computer. The observatory atop the building was
constructed in the 1950s, using scrap and war surplus
material, to house a telescope loaned by the Franklin
Institute. Private