Founded in 1717 by Jacob Schrack Sr., Trappe is named after a tavern that Schrack operated that was nicknamed “the Trap.” The spelling was later changed to Trapp and, finally, Trappe. Located half-way between Philadelphia and Reading along a major thoroughfare once known as the Manatawny Great Road, Trappe was a frequent stopping place for travelers and home to numerous inns and taverns. It was formally incorporated as a borough in 1896. Four historic sites are open to the public: Augustus Lutheran Church, Dewees Tavern, Henry Muhlenberg House, and The Speaker’s House. Trappe is also home to Northern Star Farm, a 230-acre family-owned and -operated farm located at 96 E. Third Avenue (Route 113).