Henry Muhlenberg House

Henry Muhlenberg House

Henry Muhlenberg
Portrait of Henry Muhlenberg. From The Muhlenbergs of Pennsylvania by Paul A. W. Wallace

201 W. Main Street
Built about 1750 for Jacob Schrack Jr., a blacksmith, this large stone house was purchased by Henry and Anna Maria Muhlenberg in 1776. The Muhlenbergs added a rear wing, now missing, as a summer kitchen complete with a bake oven. Restored to its c. 1776 appearance and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000, the house is owned and operated by the Historical Society of Trappe, Collegeville, Perkiomen Valley, Inc. Open to the public

Henry Muhlenberg House, 201 W. Main Street, c. 1890. This photograph shows the west side of the house in which Henry and Mary Muhlenberg lived from 1776 to 1787. About 1863, the roofline was raised four feet to add a third story to the house. The people depicted here are probably members of the Hunsberger family, who owned the property from 1848 to 1895. (Courtesy of the Historical Society of Trappe, Collegeville, Perkiomen Valley.)
Henry Muhlenberg House, 201 W. Main Street, c. 1890. This photograph shows the west side of the house in which Henry and Mary Muhlenberg lived from 1776 to 1787. About 1863, the roofline was raised four feet to add a third story to the house. The people depicted here are probably members of the Hunsberger family, who owned the property from 1848 to 1895. (Courtesy of the Historical Society of Trappe, Collegeville, Perkiomen Valley.)